Kevin J. Palmersheim
Shareholder / Managing Attorney
Kevin Palmersheim is a founding shareholder of the firm as well as its managing attorney. In addition to the knowledge and experience that Kevin brings to legal issues as a highly-experienced business attorney, he is also adept at being creative and flexible in representing clients' interests both in court and in negotiations. He excels at finding cost-effective strategies to resolve business disputes and execute complex transactions. In his work as a business attorney, Kevin routinely represents clients on a variety of business litigation matters and advises on a broad range of business transactions, such as contracts or clients buying and selling businesses. Kevin also acts as outside general counsel for a number of Wisconsin businesses.
One area where Kevin's skills and creativity are frequently utilized is in business break-ups and dissolutions, often resulting from shareholder and partnership disputes. Kevin regularly represents clients in family business disputes, and is also called upon by other lawyers and law firms to advise them on law firm formations and break-ups. He has successfully argued business law cases in the state and federal courts, including jury trials, and appeals before the Wisconsin Court of Appeals, the Wisconsin Supreme Court, and the United States Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
Kevin has been recognized by his peers as one of the top business lawyers in Dane County in surveys by Madison Magazine, and also in surveys conducted by Thompson Reuters of the best Wisconsin "Super Lawyers." In addition to being named one of the best business lawyers in Wisconsin, in 2010 Kevin received a Leader in The Law Award by the Wisconsin Law Journal, recognizing outstanding contributions to the state's legal profession and to the development of the law.
Kevin is past president of the Dane County Bar Association and has served on their board of directors since 1997. He is also active in the Western District Bar Association and the State Bar of Wisconsin. He has served on the Wisconsin State Bar's Board of Governors and has been appointed to chair of several of its committees. In addition to his legal practice, Kevin is a writer and editor on a variety of legal and non-legal topics and lectures frequently to lawyers, professional groups, and college and high school classes on topics such as entrepreneurship, business law, and legal rights and responsibilities.
Kevin graduated from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1992, earning a masters degree in Business from the University of Wisconsin at the same time. He also has an undergraduate degree in Political Science and Business from UW-River Falls.
Kevin also serves on the board of directors of a number of for-profit corporations and non-profit organizations. Madison has been his home since 1989, but he has previously resided in Illinois, Minnesota, and was born in Iowa.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Business Litigation
- Shareholder and Partnership Law
- Business Transactions
- Securities Fraud
- Trademark Litigation
- Outside General Counsel
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Madison, Wisconsin, 1992
- University of Wisconsin School of Business
- University of Wisconsin-River Falls
Major: Political Science and Business
- Final Thought: Watch Out for Whitecaps Ahead to Avoid Rough Water Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine
- Final Thought: The Economics of Practicing Law: It’s the "Principal" of the Matter Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine
- Final Thought: Red Velvet Jacket or Navy Suit? Be Yourself (Within Reason) Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine
- "Protecting The Minority Shareholder", Wisconsin Lawyer Magazine
- "Avoid a Nasty Business Breakup", Capital Region Business Journal
- Vampires, Exculpatory Contracts, Zombies, Economic loss, Ghouls, The Statute Of Frauds, And Other Issues That Have Risen From The Dead In Recent Business Law Cases
- Working With Family Business Clients: Striking a Balance of Heir Conditioning and Covering Your Own Assets
- Wisconsin's Business Law Climate: Sometimes Warm and Sunny; Occasionally Cold and Rainy; With Case Law Just Clear Enough That Lawyers Can Weather The Storm
closism -- And Other More Coherent, If Slightly Longer, Summaries of Recent Business Law Cases in Wisconsin
- Navigating by Star Direct: Traversing Wisconsin's Current Law on Noncompetition Agreements Without Falling Into a Black Hole
- Understanding Accounting Bias, Conflicts of Interest, and Other Ethical Issues That Should Not Be Resolved With Denial Or A Paper Shredder
- Exercising Good Judgment, Avoiding Conflicts of Interest, and Abiding By All Other Ethical Rules to Avoid Disgruntled Clients and Even More Annoying Legal Professionals
Honors and Awards
- Recognized by his Peers as One of the Top Business Lawyers in Dane County in Surveys by Madison Magazine
- Wisconsin Super Lawyer, 2007, 2010-2014
- Wisconsin Law Journal, 2010 Leader In The Law Award
- Dane County Bar Association; Board of Directors and Past President
- Western District Bar Association, 1997 - Present; Board of Directors
- American Inns of Court, James E. Doyle Chapter, 2011 - Present
- Wisconsin State Bar; Past member of Board of Governors, Past Chair of Public Image Committee, Past Chair of Editorial Board and Communications Committee, Past Chair of Public Education Committee
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, Canopy Center, a nonprofit child abuse treatment and prevention agency, 2003 - Present
- Board of Directors, Center for Families, a nonprofit agency providing child crisis care, child development and parenting support services, 2006 - 2009
- Board of Directors, Work Opportunities in Rural Communities, providing job coaching and professional assisance for adults with developmental disabilities, 1995 - 2007